Monday, May 19, 2008

Nifty Thrift Picks of the Week (5.19.08)

Sharing my weekly faves from the Nifty Thrift flickr group where people post pics of their nifty thrifty finds:


new tins
Originally uploaded by
ATLITW


Interesting vintage tins are one of those things I always keep my eye out for while thrifting. The're great as small storage containers and beautiful to look at, especially when displayed in groups and I'm in love with this grouping of tins! I adore the assortment of images and the different shapes and sizes. The soft colors go together so wonderfully that they look like a cohesive set rather than a hodge podge. So nice!




book 6.
Originally uploaded by
halowrites


This illustration plate from a vintage children's book is so eerily beautiful to me. It's of a little girl out at dusk surrounded by bats with a full moon overhead. The text below says "THE BATS' DAY BEGINS." I've always been fascinated by bats. They are such strangly beautiful creatures and the little girl in the picture looks quite fascinated by them too. The moonlit quality of the scene is so great. I would love to hang this on my wall!



Secret bird.jpg
Originally uploaded by
burningoutofcontrol


Being a lover of all things birdie, this little fella caught my eye immediately, and the fact that it functions as a little box that you can open up and put things in makes this small treasure all the more precious. Yesterday my husband found the tiniest little intact mottled tan and brown egg in our grass under some alder trees. It must have fallen out of a nest. The egg was really pretty so I kept it, but I'm not sure where to put it and this would be the perfect vessel!

2 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

I love old storage tins too! I have a collection in my kitchen, in different shades of red. Occasionally someone will come to our house and ask me, "What do you keep in them?" To which I reply, "Nothing." And then they look confused.

Missa said...

Haha! Most of mine contain nothing as well. I love the idea of grouping mix matched tins all of the same color scheme!

I actually saw a really cute one at a thriftstore the other day. It was a small candy tin from the 50's, turquoise blue with a faded picture of a little girl on the lid and something about it reminded me of the round one here with the woman's face. They wanted $4 for it so I didn't buy it (I'm such a cheapo) but I keep thinking about it, so I might have to go back.