Sunday, February 15, 2009

On Valentine's Day...

IMG_3816

... I went for a late morning walk downtown with the fam (wearing the wonderful plaid skirt that Milla sent :) I made Lucas take an outfit photo of me in front of an expensive jewelry store because this was my Valentine's outfit (all thrifted except the red coat from Old Navy years ago) and there were heart lanterns in the window.

I did not however receive expensive jewelry for Valentine's Day. I did, in fact, receive a yummy heart shaped pancake covered in butter, maple syrup, and fresh strawberries and blueberries, which in my opinion beats expensive jewelry any old day ;)


IMG_3864


For an afternoon rainy day drive out to the coast, I threw on my newly thrifted sweater, Levi's, and a pair of old REI brown leather work boots I found at Angel's Attic the other day for $3 (still searching for my cute little granny boots, but these big clompers will have to satisfy my short brown leather boot needs for now). Outfit 100% thrifted by the way :)

We went with my sister-in-law, her husband, and their two kids and all piled into their van, so it was quite the family outing! It was so stormy out at the ocean that we ended up mostly watching the big waves crash from inside the warm van, but my favorite part was holding hands with my sweetie during the drive and gazing out through the rain as the beautiful West Sonoma County scenery drifted by. The green hills are so lush and pretty on gray hazy days.

We made a couple stops in quaint little towns along the way which involved a most amazing cup o' hot chocolate with a big dollop of freshly made whipped cream, YUM, in Duncan's Mills. As well as, a peak into a little antiques shop in Freestone I had never been to before. I didn't buy anything, but I couldn't help but snap pictures of some of the lovely things that caught my eye:






This cozy little shop even had a woodstove with a glowing fire where I cought my niece Vida, who I've mentioned before is Clover's absolute favorite person in the whole wide world, looking impossibly adorable, like a lil' Valentine's gnome, in her thrifted red coat and white knitted hat.


We enjoyed the most amazing fresh baked bread at Wild Flour Bread Bakery next door. We're talking potato, rosemary, garlic, and like three kinds of cheeses all in one still warm from the oven fougasse, SO good. (btw, that second picture is from their website, lest you should imagine me standing on a table in order to document my trip to the bakery ;)

And because I just can't get enough of cute kids in their red thrifted jackets on Valentine's Day! Hope you all enjoyed your day :)

19 comments:

Manja said...

I would totally choose a homemade heart - shaped pancake over expensive jewelry :)
When looking at the picture and before having read your text, I already thought you were wearing your newly thrifted Levi's! They look great on you! I think I need a pair as well. That bread baking place looks great! I am glad that in my homecountry they sell bread like this everywhere and not only soft white bread (which I am not a big fan of). Have a nice Sunday!

Andrea Eames said...

What a perfect Valentine's Day!m

Kate Moore said...

Looks like a lovely day. I love bread. It's a great weakness. Bread and cheese. I'm not a sweet tooth but could certainly put away kilos of bread and cheese, and dips. Eggplant, fetta, hommus, mmmmmm.

Laura said...

That pancake looks soooo good!

Diane said...

Yum!

Your new thrifted finds look perfect for a memorable day out with the fam. And I can nearly smell that bread...

LF said...

Your Looove day outfit is adorable! I can't get enough of those lace oxfords-they complete so many looks :))

oh and the second outfit is great too, looks like something I would wear!

jess s.

muchlove said...

Your outfit in that first picture is adorable!
mmm... that heart-shaped pancake looks delicious.

home girl said...

that pancake is divine! what a romantic sweetie you have. looks like the romance continued all day, celebrating the good things in life, sweet kids & grown ups wearing red, scrummy food and drinks, misty country views. sounds like my kind of V day xx

ps loved hearing u guys have had such a long relationship too. we r lucky girls x

thevintageyear said...

That heart shaped pancake looks so yummy, & the dollop of cream in the coffee looks a bit like a heart too :)

Anonymous said...

I so agree that heart-shaped pancakes beat out expensive jewelry. Any day! And your rainy excursion looks positively perfect.

Violet Folklore said...

Wild Flour is THE BEST!!! I went there two summers ago (Their garden in summer is spectacular! We ate so many raspberries!).

The picture of the hot chocolate is *perfect*

You and Clover are looking as adorable as ever
:-)

Love to you guys, Amber

Anonymous said...

There's nothing I love more than antique shops but when they actually take time with their displays? Heaven!

Alexa said...

What a cozy, cozy weekend. Those pancakes look fabulous! And I LOVE those REI boots, what a find.

Lisa Draski said...

Your weekend looks like it was absolutely enchanted! :)

And Clover is such a lucky girl to have her childhood documented in such a creative and beautiful way by her proud mommy.

Eyeliah said...

You girls in your red jackets! How lovely.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

What a lovely Valentines Day! Could it have been any more perfect? You are so beautiful Missa! You look so peaceful in your life. I love seeing the pics of you and Clover, just two peas in a pod:)
Sonya

Caroline said...

pancakes are sooo much better than jewelry!

Pearls and Peonies said...

I'm new to your blog and I think it is just wonderful! So, I've given you an award! :)

Mo said...

love the heart shape waffle ;-)