Monday, June 9, 2008

Nifty Thrift Picks of the Week (6.9.08)

Sharing my weekly faves from the Nifty Thrift flickr group where people post pics of their nifty thrifty finds:



Typewriter
Originally uploaded by
K Bell


Typewriters have become another one of those hot ticket vintage items in the world of thrift, along with the likes of suitcases and cameras. I recently received in the mail, a hand typed note from a friend. In today's email driven world, I must say it was quite a charming little treat and somehow seemed even more old fashioned than a handwritten one. It made me want a typewriter of my own, unfortunately the ones I see are usually in pretty bad shape. This brown and white beauty on the other hand looks brand spankin' new and reportedly "works wonderfully!!" From the Salvation Army no less, what a SCORE!



flasks
Originally uploaded by
revolutionarygirl


It was the scientist in me who chose these. That's right, when I'm not taking time off to be a stay at home mom to Clover who likes to thrift shop and play on the internet in her spare time, I'm a scientist. I work in a lab, often utilizing glassware much like these two flasks (allow me to geek out on you for a moment)... one liter volumetric flasks, to be exact, used for the precise measurement of exactly one liter of liquid. White lab coat, safety glasses, latex gloves... the whole deal. I'm so used to seeing these in a work setting that I was struck by how lovely they look displayed out of context like this, especially in front of this very cool vintage metal sign (another wonderful find!). I am loving the flasks as part of this cool display and now wishing that I had pilfered some of my very own before leaving my job ;).



duma key glasses
Originally uploaded by
talulahgosh

The most amazing vintage sunglasses keep turning up everywhere I look. Unless of course I happen to be looking in a place like a thrift store or a flea market where I might hope to procure a pair of my own... sigh. These lovelies acquired by talulagosh (aka talulagoshyouareluckytohavefoundthosesunnies) are gorgeous and keep me from losing hope, as apparently there are still great ones out their for the finding! I love both the color and the shape of these and the best are those wee stars in the corners *swoon*.

3 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

That typewriter is gorgeous!

Ring'er Bell said...

Thanks for the props on the typewriter. I think I'm in love..with the typewriter, that is!

Kennedy said...

i collect typewriters! i love love love them.