Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Petaluma

Following our usual walk to the farmers’ market on Saturday, we took a leisurely drive out to the neighboring town of Sebastopol where our plan to visit a salvage shop for some window shopping (we were hoping to find an actual window) was cut short by a sign on the door reading: “Gone to a wedding, closed early. Sorry!”

We then decided on a whim to head out to the town of Petaluma to check out the recently opened
Seed Bank. I first heard about it a few weeks ago and have wanted to go ever since. Unfortunately, our plans were thwarted yet again as we walked up to the front door to discover that it too was closed! Not open on weekends it turns out. Had I read that link before going, I would have known this.

Alas, all was not lost, it was still a lovely day so we walked around Petaluma’s gorgeous historic downtown riverfront district and I’m so glad we did because it’s one of those nearby destinations (about 20 minutes away) that we usually just drive on by while on our way to Marin or San Francisco and completely neglect. It was nearing naptime though, so this visit didn’t last too long but left me itching to plan a longer day trip.




One place we did stop for a visit though was the fun and quirky gift/novelty/retro toy shop called HeeBe JeeBe. It’s a cool little store full of weird and wonderful things, perfect for finding unique gifts and whatnot.



I love the way it’s decorated too, with all the paper lanterns and flags hanging from the ceiling, not to mention the amazing fish mobile! There’s even an old-fashioned motorized horsie ride out front which you know who loved :)

Clover got a cute little set of wooden alphabet blocks which she would now have me building towers with non-stop for all eternity if that was indeed an option.


Pretty Wall

We walked along the riverfront and came across an amazing painted brick wall that I insisted Lucas document my outfit in front of.

Speaking of the outfit, I ended up feeling quite appropriately dressed as
downtown Petaluma is full of beautifully preserved old buildings that give it an idyllic sense of the small town Americana of yesteryear. It’s even a popular film location for just this reason. It’s where American Graffiti was shot among other period movies like Peggy Sue Got Married, the 1997 version of Lolita, and Inventing the Abbots.



The Church Dress

I found the vintage dress at the Welfare League Thrift for $5 the day before and fell hard for its sweet print and lovely subtle details. There were no tags but it was impeccably constructed and in near perfect condition.

The little old ladies at the counter guessed it to be from the 40’s or 50’s and the one who rung me up said it reminded her of something she would have worn back in those days and after a short pause added “… to church.” She was pretty cute :)

All in all, thwarted plans aside, it turned out to be a lovely Saturday and I’ve already got ideas about what I want to do when I go back, one of which includes visiting this amazing old library and historical museum which I’ve never been inside. But we’ll save all that for another day :)

(Building images found here and here.)

25 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

You both look beautiful, as always. :)

A xx

Jessi said...

what a great post! thank you for sharing!!!

:)

Eyeliah said...

Oh what a lovely town. Blocks were my fav as a kid. :-)

LF said...

looks like the day wasn't a total lost, the store with the globeS is great! i have kinda started collecting them, along with all my other collections. clover is darling in her red dress, compliments her skin. hehe :))

jess s///

LF said...

opps, forgot to mention how lovely your outfit is!! that barrette is the perfect touch!

jess s////

muchlove said...

that first picture made me smile instantly! I love the way Clover is looking up at her gorgeous mom.
I really like the wall too.

That gift shop looks adorable, I love exploring little shops like that. You never know what cute things you'll discover.

N said...

Petaluma is one of my favorite towns!

That is such a beautiful dress and your daughter is just the cutest! I love the red dress. :)

Rowena said...

SO cute. Now I want a vintage 40's church dress. And thanks for the tour of Petaluma.

Thrifted Treasure said...

What a gorgeous town! Your little one looks as adorable as ever! Would love to visit that shop.

Mars said...

these photos are gorgeous! looks like a wonderful day :) you both look lovely, too (i love the shot of clover by herself, so cute!!) and i am seriously digging that mural...

Franca said...

Such a great post! you have lots of amazing places near you! and you and clover both look lovely!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

What great photos and I want to visit that store SO BAD!

Anonymous said...

Sigh, you've made me nostalgic for the days when I used to tour old towns; I shall put that on my summer to-do list. I love the quirky toy shop - that mobile is a dream! Did the owners make it, I wonder?

Anonymous said...

You and your daughter look adorable! I love her polka dot dress. And the town looks really neat - gives me the urge to visit the west coast!

Diana said...

i love all of these!
the one where your daughter is looking up at you is my favorite!
great photos!

Alexa said...

How adorbs is Clover looking up at you in the first photo! And Petaluma looks amazing...isn't that where Winona Ryder grew up?

Peldyn said...

Love your dress. I swear I have that fabric in my stash, handed down to me from my mother. Your daughter also looks adorable in her dress :)

Caroline said...

Ah, that little town looks so delightful. Day trips are the best.

Milla said...

this pictures are so freaking ah-mazing! love it.

Andrea said...

Love the dress and the wall is very cool. Sounds like you had an interesting day :)

Rose said...

Howdy, ive just come over to your blog from another. I love your dress!! its so sweet that the old ladies were talking about your dress being something they would have worn ...to church :)
Im off to explore the rest of your blog!

Rose

Cheetah Velour said...

Your dress is gorgeous!! What a great find!

No kidding, I was in Petaluma on Sunday and pressed my face up against the window at the Seed Bank wishing it were open.

Next time you're out that way, poke your head in here-http://www.stitchcraftonline.com/ :)

Meghan said...

I love the gold fish lamp or wall hanging. Great thifting finds too.

Manja said...

Oh wow, this town looks so lovely! I love little old towns like this. The town I am staying in right now, also has a beautiful historic downtown :)

H to the izzo said...

The photo of you and your little one standing next to your hand at your side is so adorable.