Monday, July 20, 2009

Farmers' Market

Farmers' Market Saturday

Saturday’s 100% thrifted outfit, worn to the farmer’s market just prior to taking outfit photos (hence the leafy beet greens spilling out of my tote), featured a few of my latest summery thrift finds.

The vintage 50’s (40’s?) shorts are the ones I mentioned from last week’s flea market ($3!) and I’m lovin’ them to bits. It’s been super hot and I’ve already worn them twice this week. The delicate lacy top ($2.50) is perfect for these hot days too and the canvas tote ($1), well it’s pretty much a perfect summertime tote, you’ll see why in the detail shots (both from Hospice Thrift).

We are incredibly fortunate to live just a few blocks from a wonderful year round farmers' market held every Saturday and Wednesday. It’s especially bustling and bountiful on Saturdays during the summertime, so after we finished our shopping, Lucas strolled Clover home and I spent a little time browsing around and snapping pictures of all the bounty!





Details, details… pleats, snaps, pintucks, and lace :)

A hand embroidered sailboat scene on one side and the other side is pretty cute too (all photos can be enlarged by clicking).

Ok, you might not want to enlarge this one, haha.





Mmmm... my favorite!




How cute are these coops?! We plan to one day have chickens and I would love for them to nest in something as sweet as the one on the left. Actually, if it were a little bit bigger, I wouldn't mind nesting in there myself ;)



Haha, when I was taking this picture the kid working there asked if I'd like him to hold up the cucumbers "to make them look pretty."

See, cute, right? And perfect for toting home our fruits and veggies. We also picked up a fresh piece of locally caught halibut but it stayed in it's own bag so as not to run the risk of getting my new tote all fishy. Lucas grilled it up for dinner last night with fresh dill from our garden, some sea salt and ground pepper, and meyer lemmon straight off the tree... mm, mm, good.

33 comments:

Unknown said...

so cute. glorious photos! I love your shoes.

amy merrick said...

I'm obsessed with this outfit!!

Ginela Gonzalez said...

By all means outfit is cute! Perfectly sweet and refreshing for that farmer's market! You're so lucky to have one near your home, I wish I could get lovely beets and shallots like that somewhere near me! Your outfit was perfect and as fresh as them vegy goodies!
If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back and enlarge the picture of the fish now :P

Chelsea said...

Some lovely pictures and sweet outfit.

Marie said...

Beautiful photos of that Farmer's Market! Love the Easter egg mix sign. And the cucumbers do look pretty.

Eyeliah said...

what a perfect summer outfit, love those shorts.

Amber said...

Those baby potatoes are adorable! And I love the lighthouse embroidary on the tote bag.

ms. teacakes said...

that looks like a wonderful treasure hunt for fresh foods at that farmer's market!

i love your vintage outfits and the light-wholesome-hippie-americana vibe you've got.

Anonymous said...

Love the outfit - from head to toe!

Meaghan Kelly said...

you look perfect!!! you look better than perfect!!!!! I want to replicate this outfit exactly! it's my absolute favourite of yours by far!
you're stunning!!
and you've gone and made me hungry!

anabela / fieldguided said...

You are such a vision of summertime in that outfit! I just adore it. So classic and timeless!

Andrea said...

A great outfit for summer and your bag, hat and shoes are just perfect!
The farmer's market would be great too. Fresh fruit and veges are the way to go. We also have one nearby :)

Franca said...

gorgeous photos! and beautiful outfit!

Milla said...

to market! to market! and that tote is divine!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Those potatoes!! I am loving the photo's...

Tracy said...

i'm so jealous of your day! walking to a farmer's market is lovely in so many ways....what are you going to do with the beets?
p.s. i am now on the hunt to replicate exactly this outfit. perfection!

Anonymous said...

That hat is simply perfect on you. And my eyes are boggling at those gorgeous flower bouquets!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I love the colors in all of your photos! Also, I'm jealous of that thrifted outfit :).

Anonymous said...

everything looks gorgeous...we have a farmers market where i live, but nowhere near as good as this one!!

this has inspired me to embroider a tote bag too....

looby xx

Ashlee said...

the photos from the farmer's market are making my mouth water...

cute tote!

Caroline said...

Hot diggity dog! Missa, you look so incredible! I think I say that every outfit you wear is my new favorite, but you seem to just keep getting better and better as the summer goes on. It would be impossible to choose an actual favorite from your outfit posts - they're all too good.

Also, your farmer's market sounds so great. We had one set up just a few blocks from us just before I left town for vacation, so I was only able to visit once but there was so much amazingness. I didn't get the deets about when they'll stop, but I'm really hoping it's still around when I get back home!

Diana said...

i still can't get over that you have birthed children in that cute little body!
i love your hat and i am going to visit my farmer's market this Thursday!!

polaris said...

Wonderful pics. Those chicken coops would be a great playhouse for young & young-at-heart alike.

Missa said...

Aw, thanks so much for all the outfit love you guys and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the market pics too!

As for Tracy's question about what I'm going to do with the beets, I used some of them in a salad for last night's dinner. Steamed then chopped them, dressed them with Trader Joe's Romano Ceaser dressing (so good, it's the only dressing we ever use anymore), added salt n pepper then tossed them with mixed baby greens also dressed with Romano Ceaser and slivered almonds and and added plenty of crumbled goat cheese over the top (there is something amazing about the combination of beets and goat cheese). Anywhoo, it was really good.

I got two bunches though since they were having a special, so I still have some left if anyone know's any good beet recipes :)

muchlove said...

even your market outfit is adorable! I love those shorts. And I wish my grocery bag was half as cute as yours.

N said...

This is such a beautiful outfit. It is absolutely perfect for a summer day at the Farmer's Market. I love the lace and seersucker-like shorts. And the shoes are to die for! I'm having unbelievable trouble finding shorts like that. I think I am going to have to end up making a pair of my own.

And thank you for the lovely comments. I am so glad that I reminded you of all the wonderfully magical places of Northern California. I already miss it but I will watch for your posts to help me through my hopefully temporary homesickness...lol

Natalie xx

Charlotte Drene said...

Oh the shorts are magnificent!

And as are those shoes you are wearing! My word!

Kennedy said...

you look like a perfect summer angel

ambika said...

Oh, love that light tower embroidery. Too cute.

Cadmium said...

gorgeous photos, and i adore your outfit!

The Jodi(e)s said...

i just stumbled across your blog and it is beyond lovely!
little clover is adorable, the photography is so splendid, and your outfits are to die for.
can't wait to read more from you!
Love&Light,
Jodie

Starr said...

this whole look is adorable, love it head to toe!

home girl said...

hello just catching up with your blog. life looks picture perfect as always. am green with envy that u have such a wonderful market in strolling distance can your life appear any more heveanly? im sure that the colour and soul is down to clever mummy making very good choices. life art direction i like to call it! clover looks DIVINE and like she has suddenly grown into quite the little girl - how much fun you are such a sweet couple xx