Wednesday, April 29, 2009

100% Thrifted Pick of the Week (4.29.09)

Enchanting is the word that keeps popping into my head when I look at this outfit. Appearing as if a fairy tale character come to life is one of Milla’s sartorial specialties and it’s one of the qualities that I adore most about her unique and amazing style.

What I love about this particular vintage 70's Gunne Sax patterned dress is its simple lines and the subtlety of its details. Even with the maxi-length and empire-waist, the lack of much of the usual fanfare that comes along with a gunne makes it seem totally wearable and not costumey. The contrasting elements in her finishing touches (another Milla specialty), delicate lace and a rugged leather satchel, complete the look perfectly :)

For an awesome chronicle of the origin and evolution of Gunne Sax dresses and some gorgeous Gunne eye candy, check out Milla's latest blog post
here, I highly recommend it!

As always, check out more fabulous fully thrifted outfits over at the
100% Thrifted flickr group :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A gorgeous outfit in a BEAUTIFULLY composed photo.

Hannah said...

I agree with you on The Gunne Sax dresses. They come up on etsy a lot and while I always admire them I'd never buy one to wear because they're just too over the top.

Manja said...

Wow, this is such a great outfit! And kudos to everyone who can pull this off.
I couldn't :(
I'm too short and long dresses with long sleeves make me look like someone tried to drown me in fabric *sad*

StickyKitten said...

thank you so much for your thoughtful words. xo

daywalker said...

Yes, it's pretty without being to Holly Hobby -ish.

Ashlee said...

wish i has the nerve and the backyard to wear this dress.

elena-lu said...

she is one i love to see what shes wearing! her flickr stream is full of these awesome outfits

Diane said...

Wonderful find! She really pulled it together perfectly. I just want to step into that pic!

LF said...

indeed Enchanting! great photo, love the woods!

jess s//

Caroline said...

That Milla...can she do no wrong?