Sunday, October 25, 2009

Weekends and Pumpkins

lumpkin, originally uploaded by bee hives.
I love the ghostly quality of this image by bee hives on flickr. So perfect for Halloween. Speaking of which, we picked up pumpkins for carving at a local farmstand over the weekend.

I’d love to get my hands on some woodcarving tools and do some beautiful lacy cut-outs like these.

Unfortunately, my pumpkin carving skill level may be more along the lines of these little fellas!

We’ll see though. I did one of those carrot-nosed ones but added a mouth with a couple of teeth, he’s pretty cute. We decided to save the rest for later in the week though, so they don’t start to rot before Halloween. (Carved pumpkin images found here.)

In other weekend pumpkin news, we made the most utterly mouthwatering pumpkin pancakes, something which I had never tried before. I really can’t even describe how moist and amazingly good they were… so much better than a normal pancake and I am a fan of normal pancakes. With some butter and syrup, just heavenly I tell you. In fact I implore you to try them yourself, you will NOT be disappointed!

Super Yummy Pumpkin Pancakes
(Makes: About 8 pancakes; 2 to 3 servings)

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp salt
1 large egg
¾ cup milk
¾ cup canned pumpkin
¼ cup plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt
2 tbsp butter, melted

In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In another bowl, mix egg, milk, pumpkin, yogurt, and butter until well blended. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened. Proceed with normal pancake making procedure :) ENJOY!

We walked downtown Saturday morning and I was so excited to find the latest issue of Lula at the bookstore. Spent many of my spare moments this weekend leafing through the pages and soaking in all the amazing style and beautiful imagery. The above photo is a favorite from the lovely Wander Bird editorial.

I had been feeling stumped about what to wear for Halloween this year, until Sunday morning that is, when I went to the Goodwill and found a vintage dress for $9.99 that just may be the best Halloween dress ever.

Above is just a sneak peek but think floor-length shimmery black and silver brocade that appears woven straight from the starry night sky with fluttery elbow-length bat wing sleeves! Now what to be... witch, dark sorceress, night sprite, space fairy, bat queen? Suggestions more than welcome!

Well, I guess you could say the Goodwill has been good to me! Earlier in the week I found these perfect black suede flat lace-up boots for $6.99 and they are so comfortable and such a perfect fit that I still can't believe my luck. A good pair of boots that fit well are for me one of the most exciting items to be found!

I'll try to work these beauties into an outfit post soon. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

25 comments:

muchlove said...

I love the images you posted. That first one is especially beautiful.

and I love pumpkin, but have never actually cooked anything with it - so I might just try this recipe!

loveology said...

Gorgeous post dear Missa!
I've missed you sweetheart, your posts and your comments!
Soon I will be back 'for good' on Loveology and i am making lots of new stuff for the Dawanda shop! I think you will love some of it... :)

For now, have a lovely day!

Mila
<3

Anonymous said...

wow! those boots are certainly a thrift dream :) just the best when you find the perfect pair AND in the right size.

Gabriel said...

Gorgeous pumpkins!

The best part about carving pumpkins is getting to roast the seeds afterwards. Yum!

ambika said...

Can't wait to see a fuller pic of that dress!

Caroline said...

Oh, I am a huge fan of pumpkin flavored anything. Lately I've been making regular pancakes then adding pumpkin butter in lieu of syrup...but pumpkin in the pancakes is soooo tempting.

Sadly, since we're away from home and living in a hotel for the time being I think I'll have to hold off anything regarding actual pumpkins this year....boo. (hahahah...get it? boo?).

Anyway, good finds as usual, Miss(a).

anne said...

i'm definitely going to make those pancakes! they sound delicious.
the boots are so awesome! the goodwill has been good to me too. i found two gunne sax dresses last week! i think i'll keep one and put the other in my etsy shop.

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Oh those filigree cut pumpkins are just goregous!!

Q's Daydream said...

That first picture is amazing!!! :o)

jeannie greenland said...

Hello - I am new to your blog and in love. You have inspired me to start thrifting. You're an inspiration and I cannot wait to see more from you. Thanks for first turning me GREEN with envy, then inspiring me to be GREEN with my lifestyle and then saving me some GREEN with your style. :)
Jeannie

Diane said...

Love the pumpkin carving ideas - those noses are fantastic! Pumpkin pancakes really ARE the best... I've been making them for about 6 weeks now and I don't think I'll ever go back to plain ones.

Great boots find!

Andrea said...

Might have to try the recipe and track down the mag! Love the pumpkins and the Halloween image :)

Sam said...

Oh my goodness - those suede bots - lucky you! ...and those lacey pumpkins are amazing, but I like the simple ones just fine too - they are kind of cheeky!

Diana said...

It's more like you have been to Goodwill! :D

Mars said...

those boots are so lovely!! and i can't wait to try that recipe, thanks for sharing :D!

Ginela Gonzalez said...

Wow, what fantastic luck with those boots! And the dress how lovely! I absolutely adore goodwill. I've gotta try these pumpkin pancakes, they seem they will ultimately ravish my tastebuds! I can't wait, I'm gonna ask my mom to get me the extra ingredients.

Milla said...

I'm so happy for your new boots! and about the farm. may Clover have many lovely days and mama much free time. Plus I can't wait to see your halloween costume,

Alexa said...

What a fabulous Halloween post, from the ghostly image, to pumpkin pancakes (thanks for the recipe), to your fabulous boots (swoon)!

polaris said...

Fab boots! And comfortable too?! Nice thrift score. Might try the pancakes too. Sounds good.

Sylvie said...

Those super yummy pumpkin pancakes sound well, super yummy! I definintely want to try these out.

The Greedy Seagull said...

Oh wow, I have to go try those, thanks for the recipe they sound incredible!

Cinnamon said...

Those lacy pumpkins are incredible! I wish I was crafty enough to pull that off!

http://thebusiestbee.blogspot.com/

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

i'm gonna have to try your pumpkin pancake recipe. they sound delicious!

xoxo

Claire Nouveau said...

oh what pretty pumpkins those are! we meant to carve pumpkins this year but we just didn't get around to it, there was a shortage of pumpkins in texas too i heard, so by the time we went out to get them, there were none left! can you believe that?! i love pumpkin muffins so i'm betting those pancakes are amazing, definitely going to try your recipe!
xo,
Claire

polaris said...

Yum! Tried the pumpkin pancake recipe this morning, but as waffles instead. I added less milk to make a thicker batter and they were scrumptious! Thanks!