Monday, December 29, 2008

Recent Finds

Wow, it's been way too long since I've simply posted some of my thrift finds! Here are some goodies I've picked up over the past few weeks:

Christmas-y finds that came in pairs :)
The vintage ornaments were practically free at 20% off of 25 cents each at the Welfare League Thrift. I found these wonderful vintage wool gloves at the Hospice Thrift. They were a bit pricey at 8 dollars but they had never been worn, were still attached with the size large tag, fit me perfectly, AND look at those adorable details! I needed new gloves too so the timing was perfect.

I got this cute little vintage faux fur collar with velvety ties at the Welfare League Thrift for a dollar.

I pretty much have no words for how awesome this vintage bird scarf is. Another Welfare League Thrift find for only $2, it has no label of any kind, I wish I knew more about it. The material is so soft and thin enough that you can see through it. It's super light and airy and the print, oh my gosh, the print is so amazing...

... and it's huge!

I love the colors and all the feathers!


I found this lovely 1947 copy of Little Women at Sacks for a dollar. It's in wonderful condition and has beautiful illustrations.

Also, from the dollar books at Sack's, this early eighties copy of The Bell Jar, which I've never read but have been wanting to. I found the the floral ribbon at the same time for a dollar and the two items went so well together.

A DVD of the Sci Fi classic Blade Runner, $5 from Sacks. Sci Fi isn't normally my genre but I do love this one with its film noir mood and of course Rachael's amazing futuristic 40's styling.

16 comments:

svelteSTUFF said...

Your photo of the scarf over the chair is SPECTACULAR - as is the scarf! Very nice.

Milla said...

of course you love blade runner. it's because you're awesome. That scarf is very lovely indeed, and what good books you found.

Diane said...

That's a lot of great loot! I wouldn't have been able to pass up those gloves either - or that bird scarf!

Skye said...

Blade Runner is my favourite film of all time, so I applaud your good taste!

Lovely finds all, those gloves are an even cuter version of an angora pair that I almost bought you in our thrift swap but ended up leaving behind because they had a sneaky hole in them.

Kate Moore said...

I am amazed at how many chicks get Blade Runner. After all, there's a fair bit of violence there. My stepdaughter's studying it with Frankenstein for her HSC year. Gotta be happy 'bout that. The Bell Jar's a great book too. Read it and then watch Sylvia. Too heartbreaking. The image of the tree - oh you'll understand when you read it. The scarf reminds me of those Japanese cloths that are used to wrap and bind purchased goods and gifts. What are they called? It's beautiful. What will you do with it? Wear it? Dress the home?

Violet Folklore said...

Thrift SCORE! I especially love the gloves and the incredible scarf... I am a big sucker for scarves, especially big see-through ones! They make such great curtains!! (;

Eyeliah said...

The bird scarf is very beautiful.

Cadmium said...

oooh, great finds! love the little women. hope you have a great start to the new year!

Loves said...

Love your blog! And I love thrifting as well ;) Hope you have a great newyear!
x
Shalane

Alexa said...

Ooh I love Blade Runner! And those mittens are fab.

Shannon said...

Great finds - that scarf is indeed gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that scarf is so gorgeous. I'd drape it on the sofa like a throw to show it off.

Owl and the Grapes said...

That bird scarf is absolutely stunning! Thanks for your comment, Happy New Year to you too lovely lady.

x
Owl

LadyRed said...

The scarf is stunning... I'm not sure which I like more the colors or the design... both are amazing. Bell Jar is a great read, although it's definitely not a pick-me-up, it is a must-read.

erica lorraine scheidt said...

Wow, you must have some tremendous thrift karma.

Best wishes for 2009...

Kennedy said...

I have that exact copy of The Bell Jar, and if you still haven't gotten around to it I'd like to reccomend it to you for reading. It's so so so so good. PS: Sorry I'm leaving a ton of comments I just spent the better part of an hour reading through your whole blog. I really like it <3